Digital image mosaic and topographic map of the moon released14 April 2015
Digital versions of the Image Mosaic and Topographic Map of the Moon have been released. The USGS Scientific Investigations Map 3316 (SIM3316) highlights both the LROC Team's global WAC mosaic and three of the LOLA Team's digital elevation models. For each map, lunar names (nomenclature) were carefully placed by our production team at the Astrogeology Science Center. In the coming month, the two layouts will be sent off for printing and hardcopies will be made available from Astrogeology and the USGS Store. To print your own copy (and eventually find hardcopies), please visit:
These maps were made possible by NASA, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter mission, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera team, and the Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter team. Funding was provided by by NASA's Planetary Geology and Geophysics Cartography Program.
Further reading on products see:
- Robinson, M.S., Speyerer, E.J., Boyd, A., Waller, D., Wagner, R., and Burns, K., 2012, Exploring the Moon with the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera: International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, v. XXXIX-B4, XXII International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Congress, Melbourne,
- Smith, D.E., Zuber, M.T., Neumann, G.A., Lemoine, F.G., Mazarico, E., Torrence, M.H., McGarry, J.F., Rowlands, D.D., Head, J.W., III, Duxbury, T.H., Aharonson, O., Lucey, P.G., Robinson, M.S., Barnouin, O.S., Cavanaugh, J.F., Sun, X., Liiva, P., Mao, D., Smith, J.C., and Bartels, A.E., 2010, Initial observations from the Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter (LOLA): Geophysical Research Letters, v. 37, no. L18204, doi:10.1029/2010GL043751.
- Neumann, G.A., 2011, Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter reduced data record and derived products software interface specification, version 2.42, LRO-L-LOLA-4- GDR-V1.0, NASA Planetary Data System (PDS).
- Sato, H., Robinson, M.S., Hapke, B., Denevi, B.W. and Boyd, A.K., 2014, Resolved Hapke parameter maps of the Moon, Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, v. 119, is. 8, p. 1775-1805, doi:10.1002/2013JE004580.
- Wagner, R.V., Speyerer, E. J., Robinson, M. S. and LROC Team, 2015, New Mosaicked Data Products from the LROC Team [abs.]: Lunar Planetary Science Conference XLVI, Woodlands, Tex., Abstract 1473.
- Tooley, C.R., Houghton, M.B., Saylor, R.S., Peddie, C., Everett, D.F., Baker, C.L., and Safdie, K.N., 2010, Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter mission and spacecraft design: Space Science Reviews, v. 150, no. 1, p. 23–62, doi:10.1007/s11214-009-9624-4.