Clementine UVVIS FeO Color Binned 1km
Clementine derived iron abundance (as weight percent FeO) data. This FeO map is derived from Clementine UVVIS data as described by Lawrence and others in 2002. FeO weight percent ranges from 0 to ~25% in this map. Lawrence et al. (2002) modified the derivation algorithms originally presented by Lucey et al. (1995, 1998, 2000). Note that further refinements to the FeO abundance algorithm for the lunar surface have been presented by LeMouelic et al. (2000) and (for the lunar maria) Wilcox et al. (2005). This FeO abundance map is a binned color product in which the FeO weight percent values are expressed as color ranges as shown in the legend (side bar).
This iron abundance map has a spatial resolution of 1.0 km/pixel; users can create full-resolution (~100 m/pixel) versions of these maps by applying the simple math equations found in these references to bands 2 (750 nm) and 4 (950 nm) of the Clementine UVVIS data.
This base has not been updated to the latest LOLA derived control network.
References: * Lawrence, D. J., W. C. Feldman, R. C. Elphic, R. C. Little, T. H. Prettyman, S. Maurice, P. G. Lucey, and A. B. Binder, 2002, Iron abundances on the lunar surface as measured by the Lunar Prospector gamma-ray and neutron spectrometers, Journal of Geophysical Research, 107(E12), 5130, doi:10.1029/2001JE001530.
* LeMouelic, S., P.G. Lucey, Y. Langevin, and B.R. Hawke, 2002, Calculating iron contents of lunar highland materials surrounding Tycho crater from integrated Clementine UV-visible and near-infrared data, Journal of Geophysical Research, 107(E10), 5074, doi:10.1029/2000JE001484.
* Lucey, Paul G., David T. Blewett, and Bradley L. Jolliff, 2000, Lunar iron and titanium abundance algorithms based on final processin gof Clementine ultraviolet-visible images, Journal of Geophysical Research, 105(E8), pp. 20297-20305.
* Lucey, P.G., D.T. Blewett and B.R. Hawke, 1998, Mapping the FeO and TiO2 content of the lunar surface with multispectral imagery, Journal of Geophysical Research, 103(E2), pp. 3679-3700.
* Lucey, P.G., G.J. Taylor, and E. Malaret, 1995, Abundance and distribution of iron on the Moon, Science, 268, pp. 1150-1153.
* Wilcox, B.B., P.G. Lucey and J.J. Gillis, 2005, Mapping iron in the lunar mare: An improved approach, Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, E11001, doi:10.1029/2005JE002512.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Publication Date
- 1 January 2002
- D. J. Lawrence, W. C. Feldman, R. C. Elphic, R. C. Little, T. H. Prettyman, S. Maurice, P. G. Lucey, A. B. Binder
- Added to Astropedia
- 1 August 2014
- 1 August 2014
To display FeO weight percent abundance.
- Geospatial Data Presentation Form
- Raster Data, Mineral Map
- Native Data Set Environment
- ISIS v3
- Supplemental Information
- http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2001JE001530/abstract, http://pdsimage.wr.usgs.gov/archive/clem1-l-u-5-dim-uvvis-v1.0/cl_4001/document/volinfo.htm
- Mineral resources, Remote Sensing
- Search Rank
Contact and Distribution
- Access Constraints
- Use Constraints
- Please cite authors
Data Status and Quality
- Time Period of Content Begin
- 25 January 1994
- Time Period of Content End
- 7 May 1994
- Currentness Reference
- Ground condition
- Update Frequency
- None planned
- Logical Consistency Report
- For the original mosaic approximately 265, 000 match points were collected at the USGS from ~43, 000 UVVIS 750nm images providing global coverage. About 80% of these points were collected via autonomous procedures, whereas the remaining 20% required the more time consuming but highly accurate pattern-recognition capability of the human eye-brain.
- Completeness Report
This only covers from -70 to 70 latitude.
- Process Date
- 1 January 2002
- Process Description
Please see references above.
- Horizontal Positional Accuracy Value
- Horizontal Positional Accuracy Report
- Best Effort
- Entity and Attribute Overview
- Weight percent FeO abundance binned and colorized.
- Source Originator
- United States Geological Survey
- Source Title
- The Clementine UVVIS Global Lunar Mosaic
- Source Online Linkage
- Type of Source Media
- Minimum Latitude
- Maximum Latitude
- Minimum Longitude
- Maximum Longitude
- Direct Spatial Reference Method
- Object Type
- Lines (pixels)
- Samples (pixels)
- Bit Type
- Radius A
- Radius C
- Pixel Resolution (meters/pixel)
- Scale (pixels/degree)
- Horizontal Coordinate System Units
- Map Projection Name
- Simple Cylindrical
- Latitude Type
- Longitude Direction
- Positive East
- Longitude Domain
- 0 to 360