- M.S.E, Computer Science; Northern Arizona University, 2011
- B.S., Computer Mathematics; Northern Arizona University, 1993
- Digital Photogrammetry Developer Course, Helava Assoc., Inc., 2015, 2004, 1997 (BAE Inc.).
- ArcMap Server, Esri 2013, 2011, 2009, 2006
- Arc/Info and Arc/Info Macro Language, Arizona Land Resources Information System, 1994 & 1995
Current Position (since 1994), Astrogeology, USGS
Cartographer/GIS/Manager/Supervisor specializing in supporting GIS-based analyses, data set interoperability, creation of geospatial tools, cartographic representations and metadata.
Astrogeology, USGS (1989 - 1994)
Engineering Technician through IT Specialist working on stereo compilation through image and GIS software production.
- 2005 to present. Lead for project development and management of cartographic and science research tasks for NASA science and exploration programs (e.g., Planetary Geology & Geophysics, Lunar Mapping & Modeling Project, Applied Information Systems Research, Mars Data Analysis). Includes scientific and cartographic problem definition and analysis, and development of efficient and effective Geographic Information System (GIS) projects for research and analysis of problems in planetary science. Develop and defend reimbursable project budgets to NASA annually and manage personnel to ensure project completion on time and within budget. Develop GIS on-line mapping web sites, tools, and tutorials to facilitate and enable planetary science research and mission support. Compile planetary datasets and publish with ArcMap Server and Open-Geospatial Consortium (OGC) interfaces. Lead technical support for Astrogeology’s Planetary Geologic Mapping coordination program for NASA.
- 2008 to present. Lead and Expert Consultant for development and implementation of a data visualization and analysis tool for space mission operations and scientific research. Created Mars Exploration Rover and Mars Science Laboratory GIS packages which allowed for landing-site analysis and selection. Created the Titan on-line map viewer and Titan Swath Viewer (TSV) in ArcView for the NASA Cassini mission to Saturn. Required research on mission science objectives and redesign of the ArcView user interface to allow a novice GIS user (Cassini science team members) to test different satellite targeting scenarios for mission operations.
- 1994 to present. Developer of analytical software for science and cartographic research. Routinely design and write software in C++, PERL, and Python for photogrammetric and remote sensing software (ISIS) and scientific research using a wide variety of space mission remote-sensing datasets. Frequently serve as expert consultant to research scientists and technical developers on technical research such as design and creation of 3 dimensional image display and analysis and topographic model importers and exporters.
- 2000 to present. Serve as Expert Consultant and Developer of Standards for cartographic elements such as digital image exchange, display, coordinate systems, and topographic analysis for the international Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC). Regular reviewer and contributor to open geospatial software libraries to ensure their support for planetary coordinate systems and data (this is a unique role initiated and filled by me on behalf of USGS and NASA).
- 2000-2010. Technical Lead and GIS Project Manager for large country-wide GIS databases of geologic and coal resources in China (funded by DOD) and Afghanistan (funded by USAID). Served as lead GIS developer and expert consultant for international consortium of research and technical staff.
- 1999-2004. Technical Lead for (Earth) Global GIS project for USGS. Develop GIS interface, specialty display and data analysis routines and compiled topographic, remote sensing, and analytically derived data for a global 1:1 million digital map product representing a wide range of Earth resources (funded by USGS and CIA).
- USGS Star Awards (June 2015, July 2015, July 2012, Jan 2011, Aug. 2010, July 2010, Jan. 2010, Sep. 2007, Sep. 2005) – For project and team support including planning and supporting a planetary data workshop in 2012, Lunar Mapping and Modeling project, supervisory duties, planetary community support, Afghanistan reconstruction project, Mars Exploration Rover project.
- USGS Certificates of Appreciation (Feb. 2013, June 2012, July 2012, Oct. 2005)
- NASA Group Achievement Award (Mars Exploration Rover), Feb. 2009.
- NASA Certificates of Recognition (Oct. 1, 2008, Oct. 15, 2008, Oct. 29, 2008) – For creative development of a technical innovation which was approved for publication as a NASA Tech Brief (Lunar Web Map Service, Mars Web Map Service, Mars Orbiter Camera Narrow Angle image collection).
- NASA Mars Cartography Working Group; member, 2010 - present.
- NASA Advanced Information Systems Research (AISR) review panel, 2007.
- NASA Mars Science Laboratory Working Group; member, 2006 - present
- Open Geospatial Consortium (International) Working Group Member, 2005 – present.
- NASA HiRISE Working Group; Member, 2006 - present.
- NASA Mars Exploration Rovers Working Group; Member, 2001 - present.
- NASA Cassini Working Group; Member, 1997 - present.
- NASA Mars Pathfinder Working Group; Member, 1997.
Geologic and Published Maps
- Hare, T.M., Hayward, R.K., Blue, J.S., Archinal, B.A., Robinson, M.S., Speyerer, E.J., Wagner, R.V., Smith, D.E., Zuber, M.T., Neumann, G.A., and Mazarico, E., 2015, Image mosaic and topographic map of the moon: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3316, 2 sheets, http://dx.doi.org/10.3133/sim3316.
- Tanaka, K.L., Skinner, J.A., Jr., Dohm, J.M., Irwin, R.P., III, Kolb, E.J., Fortezzo, C.M., Platz, T., Michael, G.G., and Hare, T.M., 2014, Geologic map of Mars: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3292, scale 1:20,000,000, http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3292/
- Tanaka, K.L., Skinner, J.A., Jr., and Hare, T.M., Geologic map of the northern plains of Mars, USGS Scientific Investigations Map (SIM) 2888, scale 1:15,000,000, http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/2005/2888/
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2003, Topographic Map of Mars, Geologic Investigations Series I-2782, http://pubs.usgs.gov/imap/i2782/
- Dohm, J.M., Tanaka, K.L., and Hare, T.M., 2001, Geologic, paleotectonic, and paleoerosional maps of the Thaumasia region of Mars: USGS Misc. Inv. Ser. Map I-2650, scale 1:5,000,000, http://pubs.usgs.gov/imap/i2650/
- Hare, T.M., et al., 2008, Large-Scale Digital Geologic Map and Ancillary Databases of the North Coal District in Afghanistan, USGS Data Series 317. [URL: http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/317/ ]
- Davis, P.A., and Hare, T.M., 2007, Natural-color image mosaics of Afghanistan; digital databases and maps: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 245.
- Hare, T., Hearn, P., Scruben, P. 2002, Global GIS Database.
- Digital Atlas of the World, U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DDS-62-H
- Hearn, P., Hare, T., Scruben, P., Sherrill, D., LaMar, C., Tsushima, P., 2001-2002, Global GIS Database.
- Digital Atlas of Central and South America, DDS-62-A
- Digital Atlas of Africa, DDS-62-B
- Digital Atlas of South Asia, DDS-62-C
- Digital Atlas of South Pacific, DDS-62-D
- Digital Atlas of North Eurasia, DDS-62-E
- Digital Atlas of North America, DDS-62-F
- Digital Atlas of Europe, DDS-62-G
Selected Published Papers and Abstracts
- Hare, T.M., et at., 2015, OGC Catalogue Services for Planetary Portals. LPSC46, abstract #2476.
- Laura, J.R., T. M. Hare, L.R. Gaddis, R.L. Fergason, Python for Planetary Data Analysis, LPSC46, abstract #2208.
- Becker, K. J., B. A. Archinal, T. H. Hare, R. L. Kirk, E. Howington-Kraus, M. S. Robinson, M. R. Rosiek, Criteria for Automated Identification of Stereo Image Pairs, LPSC46, abstract #2703.
- Gaither, T. A., T. Hare, C. M. Fortezzo, Digital Renovation of the 1978 Mariner 9-Based Global Geologic Map of Mars, LPSC46, abstract #2522.
- R. L. Kirk, E. Howington-Kraus, T. M. Hare, L. Jorda, The Effect of Incidence Angle on Stereo DTM Quality: Simulations in Support of Europa Clipper, LPSC46, abstract #2521.
- Dohm, J.M., Hare, T.M., et al., (2015) Geological and Hydrological Histories of the Argyre Province, Mars. Icarus, 253, 66-98. doi: 10.1016/j.icarus.2015.02.017.
- Tanaka, K.L., Robbins, S.J., Fortezzo, C.M., Skinner, J.A., Jr., and T.M. Hare. (2014) The Digital Global Geologic Map of Mars: Chronostratigraphic Ages, Topographic and Crater Morphologic Characteristics, and Updated Resurfacing History. Planetary and Space Science, 95, pp. 11-24. doi: 10.1016/j.pss.2013.03.006.
- Hare, T.M., et at., 2014, Online Planetary Data and Services at USGS Astrogeology. LPSC45, abstract #2487.
- Hare, T.M., et at., 2014, Update for the Map Projection Web Service. LPSC45, abstract #2474.
- Hare, T.M., et at., 2013, Map Projection Web Service for PDS Images. LPSC44, talk and abstract #2068.
- Hare, T.M., et at., 2013, Astropedia Annex: A PDS Imaging Node Repository for Geospatial Planetary Research Products. LPSC44, abstract #2044.
- Hare, T.M., 2011, Standards-Based Collation Tools for Geospatial Metadata in Support of the Planetary Domain (thesis), Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ.
- Hare, T.M., et al., 2012, The Astrogeology Mapping, Remote-Sensing, Cartography, Technology, and Research (MRCTR) GIS Lab., LPSC43, Abstract #2871.
- Hare, T.M., et al., 2011, OGC Interoperability Experiment, LPSC42, Abstract #2638.
- Hare, T.M., et al., 2010, A Case for a PDS Supported Cartographic Raster Library, LPSC41, 2010, Abstract #2728.
- Hare, T.M, et al., (2009), Extraterrestrial GIS chapter, Manual of Geographic Information Systems, ASPRS (Marguerite Madden, Editor), ISBN: 1-57083-086-X.
- Hare, T.M., et al., 2009, GIS-based Planetary Geologic Maps: Recommendations for Improved Preparation, Review, and Publication, LPSC40, Abstract #2538.
- Hare, T.M., and L. Plesea, 2008, Planetary GIS Updates for 2007, LPSC39, Abstract #2536.
- Hare, T., Tanaka, K.L., Skinner, J., 2003, GIS 101 for Planetary Research, ISPRS, Extraterrestrial Mapping Workshop "Advances in Planetary Mapping 2003", Houston, Texas, (talk).
- Hare, T., Tanaka, K.L., 2001, Planetary Interactive GIS-on-the-Web Analyzable Database (PIGWAD), the 20th International Cartographic Conference, Beijing, China. (pdf)
Abstracts, Popular Articles
Co-author of several other peer-reviewed journal articles and author/co-author of over 150 abstracts and short articles for the Lunar and Planetary Science International Conference, Esri Conferences, various Mars workshops; and several popular magazines.