Mission StatementThe USGS Astrogeology Science Center serves the Nation, the international planetary science community, and the general public's pursuit of new knowledge of our Solar System by:
- Conducting innovative, fundamental research that advances the fields of planetary cartography, geoscience, and remote sensing.
- Developing state-of-the-art software and techniques for the scientific and cartographic analysis of planetary remote sensing data.
- Participating in the collaborative planning and operation of space exploration missions.
- Producing accurate cartographic products, recognized internationally as benchmarks.
- Establishing data archive and mapping standards that foster international consistency.
- Archiving and distributing data and products for efficient access through modern technology.
Vision StatementThe USGS Astrogeology Science Center is a national resource for the integration of planetary geoscience, cartography, and remote sensing. As explorers and surveyors, with a unique heritage of proven expertise and international leadership, we enable the ongoing successful investigation of the Solar System for humankind.